The Crawley House was built in 1855 by Jacob Hiltburner, a Swiss tinner. He operated the inn, then known as the Hiltburner Hotel, for several years, where it became a hub for public social and political functions and even...funerals.
During Guyandotte's tenure as a training and recruitment camp for Union soldiers, the hotel served as the local hospital. In the fall of 1861, many of the young, inexperienced troops had taken ill, and were being treated here at the hospital. After the raid on Guyandotte in early November, the hospital also took in wounded and dying Confederates as well.
After the war, William Crawley Smith came into town, took over the former hotel-turned-hospital, and restored it back to its original purpose. It thus became known as the Crawley Hotel. In later years, it was converted into an apartment complex, which it remains as today.
Many people who have stayed at the Crawley House over the years have reported strange experiences, including electrical disturbances, such as TVs and radios turning themselves on and off. Many people attribute these happenings to the playful presence of a little boy. Some have even seen this little boy for themselves: he is said to be a young boy about five years old who likes to sit on the edge of the bed.
There may also be another presence at the hotel, that of a nurse named Linda. She is reported to be friendly...and even helpful at times to the residents.
Members of HPIR may have experienced the ghosts of the Crawley House for themselves...but to hear that story, you'll have to join us for one of our tours!
Haunted and Historic Guyandotte Tours